JDA and Panasonic to Establish Joint Venture Company in Japan
Strategic agreement aims to expand provision of companies’ joint solutions to optimize factory, warehouse and retail digital supply chain operations
JDA Software, Inc. and Panasonic Corporation today announced an agreement between JDA Japan and Panasonic to establish a joint venture company to further promote sales of the companies’ joint solutions for the manufacturing, logistics, and retail industries in Japan. Planned to start operations in October 2019 subject to governmental approval, the new company will be located in Tokyo, and will undertake customer proposals and aggressively promote sales of the companies’ integrated solutions.
Deal Combines JDA Domain Expertise with Panasonic Massive Scale and Size in Japan:
JDA is the globally recognized leader of end-to-end supply chain solutions that are powered by artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) capabilities. JDA is the one and only company to have been named a leader in all five Gartner Magic Quadrants focused on supply chain and retail solutions across planning, execution and delivery, demonstrating how JDA’s unmatched solutions empower customers to better predict and shape demand, transform their product delivery and deliver outstanding and seamless customer experiences. By seamlessly linking the end-to-end supply chain leveraging AI and ML technologies, JDA provides solutions for customers’ factories, warehouses and retail stores which enable cognitive automation and create innovations in the supply chain. More than 4,000 of the largest retailers, manufacturers, logistics companies and distributors around the globe run integrated JDA software for supply chain planning and execution; including 75 of the world’s top 100 retailers and 77 of the world’s largest manufacturers. These customers are realizing optimized cost control, new value creation, improved profitability and delivery time reductions by using JDA solutions.
As part of its solutions business strategy, Panasonic is promoting its vision of “Gemba Process Innovation.” In the supply chain field, the “gemba” is where things are made, moved or sold — the operational frontline where value is created and problems must be confronted. By using the know-how it has cultivated over 100 years in the manufacturing industry and its sensing technologies and edge devices to address challenges at the gemba, Panasonic works closely with its customers to co-create individualized solutions and become a total solutions integrator for customers in not only the manufacturing sector, but also those in the logistics and retail fields.
Purpose of the Joint Venture:
By combining JDA’s comprehensive SaaS software portfolio that span end-to-end supply chain management with Panasonic’s world-class sensing technologies and edge devices, the two companies are creating new, cutting-edge solutions for businesses in the manufacturing, logistics and retails fields; and in doing so, are bringing about innovations in its customers’ frontline processes. These solutions include Visual Sort AssistTM and voice-activated retail solutions that incorporate the latest innovations in virtual reality and voice response technology with best-in-class retail solutions. Additionally, warehouse managers can improve efficiency in manual package sorting and get real-time data and insights to make dynamic decisions based on actual throughput and make changes in shipping orders and personnel allocation to achieve dynamic operations.
Together, using the high global standard of JDA’s leading supply chain solutions with Panasonic’s expertise and edge devices, the two companies are bringing comprehensive process innovations to customers that take advantage of digital edge technologies incorporating SaaS, the Internet of Things (IoT), AI, ML, real-time sensing technologies, and advanced analytics. These include out-of-stock detection, facial recognition, and flowline analysis of human behavior, all aimed at maximizing productivity from the retail store front through to the back-end warehouse and factory floor.
By establishing the new joint venture company, the two companies aim to expand these solutions in the Japan market and help solve customers’ operational challenges. Panasonic’s massive salesforce size, scale and partner ecosystem in Japan will join JDA in aggressively bringing these joint solutions to more prospective customers in Japan.
In January 2019, the two companies announced a partnership to develop joint solutions leveraging the JDA® LuminateTM family of solutions and Panasonic’s Visual Sort Assist system, out-of-stock detection, flowline analytics, and facial recognition technology. Since then, the companies have continued to strengthen ties and have exhibited the solutions together at the NRF Big Show in New York and Retail Tech Japan in Tokyo.
Overview of Joint Solutions:
- JDA Luminate Warehouse Tasking with Panasonic Visual Sort Assist: This solution improves efficiency in package sorting for warehouses, leveraging scanning technology and image projection to accelerate the parcel sortation process on a conveyor belt, while seamlessly linking with the main system to provide real-time data and insights. This allows warehouse managers to make dynamic decisions based on actual throughput and make changes in shipping orders and personnel allocation to achieve dynamic operations. Through the semi-automation of parcel checking and routing, customers can improve the efficiency of sorting operations dramatically.
- JDA Luminate Store Optimizer with Panasonic Out-of-stock Detection: Through this solution, customers’ out-of-stock information is sent in real-time from the retail store to factories, warehouses and store personnel, allowing for more timely shelf replenishment, improvements in production and shipping plans, while also optimizing store layout planning through out-of-stock analysis.
- JDA Luminate Store Optimizer with Panasonic Flowline Analytics: This solution includes detection and analysis of the behavior of humans and machines enabling improvements in the allocation of workers, forklifts and other equipment at production sites and warehouses to maximize productivity, and optimizing marketing opportunities to consumers at retail stores.
- JDA Luminate Store Optimizer with Panasonic Facial Recognition: This solution enhances security and enables real-time optimization of workers by staff ID/location, as well as shopper behavior and demographic analytics for merchandising and marketing.
Furthermore, both companies have been introducing these joint solutions to customers by showcasing them at JDA’s Customer Experience Centers in Scottsdale and London as well as Panasonic’s Connected Solutions Company headquarters in Tokyo.
- Learn more about the JDA and Panasonic partnership
- Watch this video about JDA & Panasonic’s partnership here
About JDA Software, Inc.
JDA Software is the proven leader in artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML)-driven supply chain and retail solutions for 4,000 of the world’s leading retail, manufacturing and logistics companies. JDA enables an Autonomous Supply ChainTM by connecting its cognitive SaaS solutions from end-to-end – across planning, execution and delivery — with a broad partner ecosystem, empowering customers to better predict and shape demand, transform their product delivery and deliver outstanding customer experiences. JDA’s world-class client brands include 75 of the top 100 retailers, 77 of the top 100 consumer goods companies, and 8 of the top 10 global 3PLs. Running JDA, you can plan to deliver. www.jda.com
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. The company, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2018, has expanded globally and now operates 591 subsidiaries and 88 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of 7.982 trillion yen for the year ended March 31, 2018. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic:
JDA Software, Inc.
“JDA” is a trademark or registered trademark of JDA Software Group, Inc. Any trade, product or service name referenced in this document using the name “JDA” is a trademark and/or property of JDA Software Group, Inc.
“Visual Sort Assist” is a trademark of Panasonic Corporation.
Public Relations Inquiries
Analyst Relations Inquiries
Senior Director, Industry Analyst Relations