Wall Street Journal: To Optimize Supply Chains, Optimize the Warehouse (WSJ Custom Content)
Story originally appeared in the Wall Street Journal on Oct. 22, 2020, produced in partnership with WSJ Custom Content. Excerpts from the story below. To see the full story visit WSJ.com.
Delivering excellence in a digital world is nothing new to DHL. As the leader in international shipping and logistics, 380,000 employees across 220 countries collaborate to deliver more than 1.5 billion packages every year. In an increasingly complex and globalized world, DHL knows that the key to optimizing its core businesses starts and ends with consumers. With e-commerce experiencing seemingly unstoppable growth, consumers have more control over how, where and when they purchase and receive goods, making warehousing “the core of all supply chain operations,” says Markus Voss, CIO/COO at DHL Supply Chain.
As part of its 2025 vision, DHL is deploying automation and robotics technologies in warehouses to standardize processes and increase efficiency. Voss notes that a single warehouse might exceed 1.6 million square feet and hold several million packages, each with unique directions for how and when it is shipped. With an incredibly data-intensive environment, “artificial intelligence and machine learning especially help with structuring tasks and assigning these tasks to workers effectively.” Voss says.
In The News
- Logistics Viewpoints: Profitably Delivering eCommerce with Consumer-Centric Priorities
- Forbes: Building Software Applications Is Not Like Lego Bricks
- Forbes: Colleagues Over Competitors: Data Scientists Need To Retain Their Academic Instinct In The Corporate World
- diginomica: Panasonic buys Blue Yonder – the CEO’s inside story
- Phoenix Business Journal: Behind the deal: Blue Yonder CEO Girish Rishi talks Panasonic acquisition and the road ahead
- Automotive News: Blue Yonder CEO on supply chain trends and what’s next
- Retail Systems Research: Panasonic And Blue Yonder: Going All-In On The Automated Supply Chain
- Logistics Viewpoints: Building Profitability with Agility while Digitally Transforming the Supply Chain
- TechRepublic: PS5 shortage: Supply chain disruptions affect gamers and developers alike
- KSAZ-TV (Phoenix Fox Affiliate): Arizona sees new opportunities as more businesses relocate to the state