Forbes: A Single Source Of Truth: Why Data Centralization And AI Predictions Should Represent One Business Strategy
This contributed story by Dr. Michael Feindt, strategic advisor with Blue Yonder, originally appeared in Forbes on Aug. 3, 2021. Excerpts from the story below. To see the full story Forbes.com.
Business decision makers, and especially CIOs, are facing an inconvenient truth — to enact a successful artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) project, there can only be one single source of truth when it comes to their data. Among larger companies, in particular, the data deluge has reached almost unmanageable levels. Big data as an all-encompassing concept is not a new challenge; however, repeat data is. This is data that exist in numerous places across an enterprise empire and isn’t necessarily consistent.
In a retail context, you may have a data set — such as prices, a current stock gauge, a future demand prediction or seasonal stats — in a local store. You may have that same data at headquarters, on a different system, in a different country or being merged and transferred following an acquisition. Several computers, databases and data warehouses are not uncommon consequences of the big data surge. It only takes an anomaly in one location to threaten the validity of the data.
This is why we’re seeing so many organizations investing in data integration projects as part of their digital transformation efforts. It’s a way to bring those disparate networks together and to establish a single “source of truth.”
In The News
- Logistics Viewpoints: Five Advanced Technologies That Are Revolutionizing Logistics
- Logistics Viewpoints: Mastering Profitable Omni-Channel Logistics, Despite Disruptions
- TechTarget: Data preparation in machine learning: 6 key steps
- Yahoo! News: Fight Inflation: Buy These 10 Items Now Before Prices Go Up
- Retail Today: 5 Trends Reshaping the Retail Landscape
- Forbes: The Scientific Principle: How Sure Can You Be About The Future?
- Retail TouchPoints: Blue Yonder Helps Retailers Manage Omnichannel Fulfillment Options
- Total Retail Tech Insights (Podcast): Make Supply Chain a Competitive Differentiator With Blue Yonder
- Forbes: Target Leakage And The Value Of Historicized Data
- Logistics Hall of Fame: Prof. Dr. Michael Feindt to Be Honoured as TRATON Logistics Leader Of The Year 2021
Media Relations Inquiries
Marina Renneke, APR
Corporate Communications Director
Analyst Relations Inquiries
Senior Director, Global Analyst Relations