HappyFresh Digitally Transforms Warehouse Capabilities with Blue Yonder
Southeast Asia’s leading online grocery company is now powered by Blue Yonder’s WMS
JAKARTA, Indonesia, and SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – May 16, 2022 – Consumer grocery shopping habits changed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic with many opting for delivery. To meet the increased demand for its services, HappyFresh, an online grocery startup company, digitally transformed its warehouse operations with Blue Yonder’s warehouse management system (WMS).
HappyFresh aims to make shopping more convenient by delivering both ambient and fresh groceries around cities in as little as one hour. The company operates its own delivery fleet and its staff pick the groceries from micro-fulfillment centers nearby their customers’ delivery addresses. HappyFresh has 544 employees across Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.
HappyFresh was looking to accelerate its digital transformation and innovation; proactively adapt to customer preferences, including flexible delivery timing, customized order handling, and real-time responsiveness; and increase focus on social sustainability. The implementation partner on the project was Super Globalindo Viktoria (SGV), an eGrocery industry specialist that brings the industry, technical, operational, innovative, and integration strength to the implementation with local team-based resources and industry expertise services.
HappyFresh went live on Blue Yonder’s WMS at its first dark store center in 2021 and has since gone live at its centers in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. HappyFresh will roll out additional dark store centers in 2022, as well as a distribution center to support dark store centers in Indonesia.
With Blue Yonder, HappyFresh has been able to:
- Continuously measure and optimize its picking order lines down to the second, shaving time off the entire order and fulfillment process to ensure it meets the one-hour delivery window.
- Improve order picking productivity for its picking operators by optimizing their workflow to eliminate wasted time and unproductive steps for fast moving products.
- Reduce travel time between tasks by allowing its picking operators to start their next task assignment where their previous task assignment ends, rather than walking back to a starting bench.
“Creating a more productive and efficient order fulfillment strategy has become an increasingly important focus for us, especially with one-hour delivery demands. In addition, the current labor shortages and hiring challenges have increased the need to improve order lines picking productivity. Blue Yonder WMS allows us to run various picking methods like Single Order Pick and Zone Picking, which helps us to maximize fulfillment speed and productivity to continue to meet our consumers’ changing needs during these challenging times,” said Mesut Keleş, senior vice president Supply Chain, HappyFresh.
Blue Yonder’s WMS has allowed HappyFresh to manage its warehouse management operations more effectively. This includes better labor scheduling and reporting to maximize employee performance and facility operation, as well as the ability to plan and execute the retail warehouse management process, giving warehouse staff greater visibility into inventory.
“Our WMS has put HappyFresh at an important competitive advantage to expand market share by successfully meeting changing consumer demand. This in turn gives them better buying power with their suppliers, as their larger order volumes lead to better prices. Additionally, improving the picking process for their employees has helped with retaining and attracting the talent they need to grow,” said Antonio Boccalandro, APAC president, Blue Yonder.
- Learn more about Blue Yonder’s warehouse management system (WMS)
About Blue Yonder
Blue Yonder is the world leader in digital supply chain and omni-channel commerce fulfillment. Our intelligent, end-to-end platform enables retailers, manufacturers and logistics providers to seamlessly predict, pivot and fulfill customer demand. With Blue Yonder, you can make more automated, profitable business decisions that deliver greater growth and re-imagined customer experiences. Blue Yonder – Fulfill your Potential™ blueyonder.com
“Blue Yonder” is a trademark or registered trademark of Blue Yonder Group, Inc. Any trade, product or service name referenced in this document using the name “Blue Yonder” is a trademark and/or property of Blue Yonder Group, Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of the companies with which they are associated.
In The News
- Forbes: GXO Direct To Rely On Machine Learning To Drive Labor Efficiencies
- Journal of Supply Chain Management, Logistics and Procurement: How Bayer Crop Science Grows Logistics Excellence Via Digitalisation
- Forbes: Micron Is an Exemplar of What a Supply Chain Transformation Should Look Like
- Diageo: Supporting Supply Chain Visibility in Volatile Times
- Diginomica: CEO Duncan Angove on Making Blue Yonder the ‘Category Killer’ for Supply Chain
- Gartner® Critical Capabilities Warehouse Management Systems
- Gartner® Critical Capabilities for Transportation Management Systems
- Gartner®: How to Digitize and Optimize Transportation Procurement Using Technology
- Gartner: Market Guide for Retail Assortment Management Applications Short Life Cycle Products, 2022
- Gartner®: Market Guide for Retail Distributed Order Management Systems, 2022
Media Relations Inquiries
Marina Renneke, APR
Corporate Communications Director
Analyst Relations Inquiries
Senior Director, Global Analyst Relations